My Brother is a Bit of a Whizz…
… and he tends to help out if I have a problem – so I don’t really need IT Support.
I have heard that phrase (and its slight variations – after all it’s sometimes a cousin) so very often that my heart goes out to all those ‘Bit of a whizz’ relatives out there!
Being married to one such ‘whizz’ I know only too well what it’s like for them. Friends, relatives and neighbours alike will call whenever there’s an IT panic on for them and, more often than not, expect him to give up some spare time to get them sorted out.
The trouble is – not all computer problems can be sorted really quickly – and they might happen just when he’s settling down for some hard-earned time off with the
Think about your PC-savvy relative or friend …
- Is he/she highly qualified and experienced? It’s a highly specialised area, and all their hard work over the years is surely worth remuneration – should they REALLY be giving it away FOC?
- When he/she has put in a full day of Techie Support for businesses – do they REALLY want more of it at home?
- Are you the ONLY person who calls on them? They may get a bit swamped with these sorts of requests and be far too polite to say anything!
- What if something goes very wrong and you lose everything on your PC – which results in the loss of your business. What’s that going to do to your relationship with your ‘whizz’? Is it really fair to put that level of responsibility on them in the first place?
Think about YOU and YOUR BUSINESS …
- Is your friend or relative doing PRO-ACTIVE maintenance work on your IT system to ensure things have less chance of going wrong in the first place; saving you time and money?
- Is your technical friend monitoring your back ups and anti-virus?
- Do you know what qualifications and experience your ‘whizz’ truly has? Are they working in IT currently? If not, how are they keeping up with industry changes that may affect your computer systems?
- Do they have server experience?
- Can you get hold of them every minute of the working day?
- Do they never get sick or go on holiday?
- Is the software they have installed legitimate? Not only does pirated software pose a threat to you and your business from a legal perspective, it also can’t be updated which means it is vulnerable to virus and malware attacks which could bring your IT system to a standstill.
There are certain things that make a lovely addition to your business – a coffee machine, a water cooler, a good photocopier … but your Computer(s) are not one of these ‘nice’ additions. They are ESSENTIAL. Without them you may not have a business. You may be able to ignore the dust if the cleaner calls in sick – but you’re going to need ongoing maintenance and reliable IT support to keep your business in operation!
Pam Case is the Brand Ambassador at The PC Support Group and loves letting people know how we can help them with their IT systems
– See more at: http://www.pcsupportgroup.com/blog/i-dont-really-need-it-support/#sthash.e8n3Nv0U.dpuf